Skip to content

Dmitriy Fomichenko

Dmitriy Fomichenko is the founder and president of Sense Financial Services LLC, a boutique financial firm specializing in self-directed retirement accounts with checkbook control. He began his career in financial planning and real estate investing in 2000. He owns multiple investment properties in various states and is a licensed California Real Estate Broker. Over the years, he has taught hundreds of investment and financial planning seminars and has mentored thousands of investors.


  1. Paul Holmes
    August 17, 2014 @ 10:32 pm

    My Wife and I have a Real Estate S-Corp (we are the only share holders) that has ten agents that are 1099, no employees. Each of us also report the income from the S-Corp on an individual Schedule C. On the Schedule Cs we each net S-Corp income with expenses. Each of us also currently have a SEP IRA.

    1) can we replace the IRAs with solo 401Ks? I think we might fit the self employed criteria. If we can convert, we would like to invest in real estate.

    2) can a 1099 agent in our S-Corp represent me with a real estate purchase?

    3) can my nephew, who is a real estate broker represent me with a real estate purchase?

    4) can I represent myself in a purchase if I receive no fee? How about if I partner with solo 401K?

    I would like to buy/sell real estate and deeds of trust using a solo 401K, but it seems that I might have to use a competitor to complete my transactions and lose 3% commission on the buy and 6% commission on the sell. There must be a way to handle this since I read a lot about investing in real estate and deeds of trust using self directed IRA funds.


  2. Admin
    August 20, 2014 @ 2:35 am

    1) Yes, you can rollover/transfer your IRAs into Solo 401(k)s and then invest into real estate with self directed Solo 401(k) plan.

    2) If you are referring to representing your 401k then the answer is no. The problem is that agents are part of your brokerage. They would not be representing your 401k – your brokerage it. The agent then get paid by your brokerage. This will be a prohibited transaction.

    3) Yes, your nephew should be able to represent you.

    4) No, you are not allowed to provide any services to your 401k plan, regardless if it is paid or unpaid. If the representation is required, you need to retain services of another agent or broker who is not a disqualified party to your 401k.

    I am not sure if I understand your last comment. Please contact us to discuss that in person in details.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.